irenapasvinter

Jorg H. Kloss
Outlander
Diana Gabaldon
French in Action: A Beginning Course in Language and Culture
Pierre J. Capretz, Béatrice Abetti, Marie-Odile Germain, Laurence Wylie, Beatrice Abetti, Marie Odile-Germain
Learn Spanish Through Music
SUBlingual Music
These Is My Words
Nancy E. Turner
Villette - A.S. Byatt, Charlotte Brontë, Ignes Sodre My main impression from this book is that Lucy Snowe, the narrator and the main character of Villette, can compete for the title of the greatest bore in English literature (and world literature as well). Nobody is good enough for her except a couple of well bred English angels, and even then she would complain that a person does not have "all from God in him". She despises French, Catholics, not to mention "the natives" (not French speaking residents of Villette). Even though she undergoes a certain change and makes an exception for a certain catholic, her constant preaching and complaining is neither funny, nor historically interesting after the first fifty instances. Unlike Jane Eyre, with whom I could sympathise and whose moral struggles I could understand, the main feeling caused by Lucy Snowe was annoyance and boredom. Jane Eyre is a fighter and a rebel, quiet on the surface but passionate beneath, while as Lucy Snowe is a preaching hypocrite (she takes a special pride in being humble and submissive and at the same time she is constantly judging and despising everything and everybody). Jane Eyre considered herself plain but she never saw herself as mentally deficient. Lucy Snowe, on the contrary, not only declares herself plain but also insists on being slow witted and only moderately intelligent. Even though the plot was interesting enough, I could not overcome my annoyance with Lucy Snowe to truly enjoy it.